Monday, December 3, 2012

Ramble, Bramble, Blurble...

No idea what to write here today.

So many options, so little time.

I didn't do anything this weekend.  Well, rather, I accomplished a lot, in a digital fantasy world of Revolutionary Colonial America, but that was pretty much all internal.  Externally, I barely moved from the same one spot all weekend.  My thumbs got quite a workout, though.

I felt bad spending my whole weekend jerking-off like that.  But I also had a great time.  This game is so beautiful (Winter in Colonial New York, 1776 - I never want to leave), and endlessly entertaining.  Every time I think I'm starting to figure it out, I find something new that I was completely unaware of.  And I knew that I'm not going to get much time to play it in the next few weeks, getting ready for Yule, and so I wanted to cram in as much as I possibly could before then.  Just like an addict.  "Lemme get high one more time, and then I'll go to the detox center, I promise."

She and I also watched a couple of movies together yesterday; something we don't get to do nearly often enough.  That was good.  And, in a way, productive, because spending time together that way always brings us closer together, especially when we don't do it very often.

We watched True Grit, which we'd never seen before.  As always, an incredible, amazing, basically perfect film from The Coen Brothers.  Literally enjoyed every single second of that movie, no exaggeration.  Highly recommended.

And then we watched a documentary called Dark Days, about a group of homeless people who made homes, and a society, for themselves beneath the subway tunnels of NYC.  Very interesting, and strange, and captivating, and sometimes difficult to watch.

We've been watching a lot of documentaries, lately.  A new thing for us, but I hope it's a trend that continues.  I'm really enjoying it.  Just as entertaining as fictional movies, but more compelling for their truthfulness.  Also educational, which lets me convince myself I'm doing something more worthwhile than just watching a movie.

I think the combination of a fictional story film and a documentary viewed back-to-back is just about a perfect way to spend a few hours together.  They complement each other, and balance each other out, in a very pleasant way.

I hope we do, too.

No comments: