Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Life's Lesson...

I killed a squirrel this morning.

Hurrying down a snaking two-lane back road in the early-morning fog on my way to work, the little grey furball darted out in front of me towards the double-yellow lines.  No way I could've stopped in time, and no way I'm slamming on my breaks for a squirrel even if I could've.  But I swerved to the right, in the direction it had come from, in order to at least try and miss it.  But as soon as I swerved, the little guy noticed me coming, and darted back in the same direction I'd swerved, essentially running itself under my wheel.  If I hadn't have swerved, I wouldn't have hit it.

I felt the bump, and I heard the da-thud-wump against my car's undercarriage as I ran over it.  I looked in my rearview and saw its limp, lifeless, furry little body flopping down the road in my wake.  I instantly felt like shit.  And then I felt like an idiot for feeling like shit.  I mean, it's just a squirrel.  And I did what I could to try and avoid it.

But I just couldn't shake the feeling that I'd done something wrong.  I'd ended a life.  And we're not talking about an insect or an apple here.  This was another mammal.  I don't have any experience with that, so I don't know how to feel about it.  But in my gut, in my Tao, it feels wrong.

No, it probably wasn't sentient; it probably wasn't aware like we are.  But it was still a complex lifeform.  And killing it didn't help me to survive in any way.  I feel like it had every right to gather nuts, and chase lady-squirrels around tree trunks, and not get run over by some asshole who's late for work.

What's the Brightside?  I don't know.  I have no doubt that there is a lesson here, I just don't know what it is yet.  I guess I will use this opportunity to practice acceptance.  Acceptance of myself (I cannot be good or bad, I can only be Michael), acceptance that all things must end (All things that are, are Change), and acceptance that living means that sometimes the Universe is going to throw a squirrel under your wheels.

Sorry, Mr. Squirrel.

No comments: