Friday, September 21, 2012

Discipline?...

My friend commended me on my self-discipline last night.

And I told her, "I don't feel like I have any discipline.  I just have a really deep bag of tricks."

To my mind, "self-discipline" implies some sort of forceful inner strength, which I don't feel I have.  (Though, a lot of what I'm working on with my Self right now is related to trying to learn it.)  And, regardless, even if I do have it, it's not what I generally use to change or better myself.

I'm not strong that way.  I'm slippery.

I don't just force myself to move forward with the things I know I should do instead of the things I want to do.  Instead, I figure out how to perceive the situation so that I end up wanting to do the thing I know I should do.

I don't make myself do things I don't like; I figure out how to perceive them so that I do like them.

I think an ounce of cunning is worth a metric ton of force.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You sound like good parent material, I must say. Parenting is all about creative ways of convincing your child that she WANTS to do the things you want/need her to do.