Monday, April 30, 2012

Göd Hexennacht...

Walpurgisnacht begins at Sunset.  And I have to say, I'm a little nervous.

Maybe "nervous" isn't the right word.  Maybe "anxious" would describe it better.  I know that "worried" isn't correct.  Because it's not that I'm concerned that anything bad will happen.  It's just that I don't know what to expect.  I know that something big will happen, and that I will be very different tomorrow than I am today, but I don't have a clear idea how, exactly.  And that fear of the unknown, combined with the anticipation of the event itself, always gives me a bit of a "butterflies in the tummy" feeling beforehand.  It's also a feeling of exhilaration, which is, of course, almost indistinguishable from anxiety.  I guess we sometimes refer to this feeling as "nerves" or "jitters."

I'm also a bit more excited than usual this time around, because there are some bigger things going on this year than usual.  This night will mark the beginning of a year-long period of monasticism and self-sacrifice for me.  And while I'm looking forward to that, it's also a scary thing to face on some levels.  What if I have a horrible year because of this decision?  What if it's too hard?  What if it's too painful?  What if I fail?

But there's joy to balance that out, as well.  An unexpected benefit of Her recent unemployment, is that she is now free to celebrate with me tonight.  Which, I have to admit, I think I'm looking forward to more than anything else.  Things have been weird, and kind of difficult, and distant, and more than a little unpleasant between us for a while now.  I've changed a lot, suddenly and drastically, in the past couple of months.  And that's a hard thing to adjust to - when your partner is suddenly such a completely different person.  And especially so if adjusting doesn't happen to be one of your strong suits.  I imagine she must feel pretty lonely right now.  And the particular ways in which I've changed haven't exactly made me easier to live with, either.  Though maybe "easy" isn't the right word.  I don't know.  I definitely don't think I'm as much fun as a I used to be, that's for sure.

So, I'm finding that I'm really, really excited about sharing this experience with her tonight.  Excited by the possibility of re-connecting with her in some way, in any way, beyond the merely superficial mechanics of our cohabitation.  Of sharing ourselves, again, in a poignant and reflective space, in a true and meaningful way.  I know that we will both be happier after tonight.  And I have the expectation that we will be happier in a specific way, but I'm also aware that isn't necessarily true - it could go either way.  But whether the experience brings us closer together, or drives us further apart, I know that we will both feel better about our selves, and about each other.

Will us Luck.  Göd Hexennacht and Happy May to you all.  Be safe tonight.

We'll see you on the other side.

No comments: